Tuesday 8 September 2015

Tivoli and Villa Adriana 9.8.15

A few small bumps in the road yesterday. After walking on uneven cobblestones all day and consuming in the last week multiple dishes with anchovies (extremely salty) I've developed swelling in my legs and a sudden increase in intensity of pain in my left hip to the point of being unable to bear weight. Of course I worried about a pathological fracture or clots in my leg. This morning I feel much better after resting with legs elevated and pain medication. I'm afraid I may need a cane for such emergencies. I know, very melodramatic but try it from my side of the fence.

Today we are in Tivoli - a hilltop village that looks down on Hadrians Villa. Hadrian was a Roman emperor that ruled during one of the Roman empires most prosperous and peaceful times. He was essentially openly gay and his life unfortunately marred with unconsolable grief at the mysterious and untimely death of his lover.

He built a villa outside of Rome in the 2nd century in part dedicated to his lover Antinous where the 2 spent time together. It was more like a city and must have been spectacular. His sense of style included an elaborate system of under ground walkways where the slaves made their way around the grounds unnoticed only to pop up for a task of ground maintenance or serving the emporer.

Side story. Napoleons French soldiers were reported to have used this room as target practice as they tried to knock off the frescos on the walls. How they know this I'm not sure.

Lunch was spaghetti carbonara with thinly shaved truffles. I know nothing of truffles other than it being a rare delicacie found in various regions of France, Italy, and Croatia. These are things are sold at auction - one 1.3 kg truffle being sold at $330,000.00. I suspect we didn't eat such a thing and there are many truffle look a likes in the tourist market. Inside joke: we had a glass of white wine instead of a diet coke with our meal. That's for you Bob and Marie.

The afternoon was a tour of Villa d'Este. I stayed back and sat in the park to write in my journal and read and give myself a rest - I have to pace myself. You'll need to read Joseph's blog to get his view on the villa.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment