Friday 4 September 2015

It's Okay

On our stroll today we came across a group of maybe 10 to 12 artists. They were young, sketching a bridge over a canal. Nothing noteworthy or famous, just a bridge. I imagine the spot was chosen for the technicalities and complexities of lines and perspective or maybe the simplicity of it. They all had a sketch pads as thick as a phone book and as big as a your lap could hold.

I don't typically believe in regrets. What's the point. I've so many times said that I could die today and it would have been a life well spent. That was usually after a ski descent at the end of the day when the light was tranquil and I was feeling spent. Or when I felt deeply in love.

Perspectives change as you prepare to leave. I sit in an unkept garden sketching and regret not being one of those young artists. Practicing in a place steeped in a history of some of the greatest artists of history.

But like anything else of value it requires an intense degree of passion and one has only so much passion. We choose.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment