Tuesday 24 November 2015

11.20.15 Being a Dad


Never would I have dreamt I'd ever be a dad. Throughout my life I've had the chance to be Uncle Mark but never dad. I'm able to connect to children fairly well. I give them my undivided attention when they tell me stories. I don't necessarily know what they are talking about half the time - some TV series on Netflix or a game on Xbox - but I listen and throw in the occasional "wow" or "really and then what happens".  I'm also a cuddler and I give back rubs. Kids love to have their backs rubbed.

Now I have kids (not biologic) of my own and it feels good. When I went to pick them up for the weekend, Esther was in the driveway waiting for me and ran into the house yelling "Dad's here". It was a simple and natural thing for her. For me it was huge and reassuring that I'm doing the right thing.

Being a dad is not an easy thing to do. It comes with a lot of worry - am I approaching this the right way, how to keep them out of trouble as they go through there teenage years, how much freedom versus discipline do they need, are they getting enough love and attention - the list goes on and on.

Somehow it feels right for me this privilege of co-parenting with Joseph. We are a good team.

No comments:

Post a Comment