Tuesday 17 November 2015

10.21.15 Not Trying

I saw a video this morning about a man in India who was 70 years old. He sells goods on the street and to get to his spot on the street everyday he has to walk a fair distance both to work and back home.

I'm not sure I'm trying hard enough. With minimal exertion I tire. With small pieces of physical activity I hurt. Many people have the same problem yet they go on and endure most of the time because they have to.

Is there ever a place for suffering just for the sake of suffering? Does it add to the experience in a positive way? I heard a friend describe cycling as a sport of suffering. It's a true statement - if you want to ride seriously you must be willing to suffer mentally and physically. Cycling and I were meant for each other.

For most of my life I've felt that for anything to be worth anything one needs to suffer. It's part of my Lutheran upbringing. Am I not trying hard enough with this cancer journey. Does it require suffering to somehow make it "worth it".

No comments:

Post a Comment